Q: I have been thinking of moving to the United States and this seems like a good time to make the move how do I do this?

A: There are two (2) main categories for moving to the United States; 1) As a nonimmigrant (one who is only going to be in the United States for a temporary period; and, 2) As an immigrant (one who intends to remain in the United States permanently). Once you have decided on which method is best suited for you then you can make a educated decision or you can contact an expert who can guide you through the processes.

Q: Do you need a Lawyer to help you file applications with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) or with the U.S. Embassy?

A: There is nothing in the law or regulations that require you hire a lawyer to assist you in filing any application or petition; however, if you feel more comfortable with a lawyer then you should contact one.  Make sure no matter who you choose, an lawyer or consultant, you check out their background and make sure they are competent to assist you.

Q: I am married to a U.S. citizen can I go to the United States and get a "green card"?

A: Yes, your spouse can petition for you to become a Permanent Resident (green card) either with the U.S. Embassy if you are living in the UK or with USCIS.  Either process, if approved, will allow you to enter the United States permanently and if you have children they will also receive "green cards".

Q: I want to open a business in the United States how much money do I have to invest?

A: There is no set dollar amount required to open a business or purchasing an existing business.  The dollar amount would depend on the location and type of business.  Most practitioners believe that between $100,000.00 and $500,000.00 would be the norm; however, it is possible to invest less, again, depending on the circumstances.  These visas are E-2 Investor Visas.  One major item to keep in mind that the United States and your country must have a treaty in order to secure this type of visa.

Q: My company wants me to open a branch office in the United States, can I do that?

A: If you will be the executive or senior manage you can move to the U.S. for the purposed of opening a subsidiary office in the L-1A classification (intra-company transferee). You must have been a full time employee of the parent company for one (1) year out of the last (3) years to qualify and to be expending monies to open the subsidiary.

Q: What is an H-1B?

A: An H-1B is a status wherein a U.S. employer has an opening for a person who has at the minimum a four (4) year university degree obtained from an accredited University in the United States or if a person holds a foreign degree then that degree must be the equivalent to a U.S. degree.  There are only 65,000 visas available each year or if a Masters degree or higher was earned from a university in the United States there are an additional 20,000 visas available thus if you earned a Master degree or higher there would be a total of 85,000 visas available.  One of the issues is that your H-1B Application must be filed on or after April 1st, of each year for employment that cannot begin prior to October 1st.  Due to the high volume of applications received each year USCIS now uses a lottery system to choose from the received applications.

Q: I want to attend a University in the United States, how do I get a Student Visa?

A: You must contact the University or College you are interested in attending.  Once you have met the admission requirements the University issues you a Form I-20.  You will then schedule an appointment with the U.S. Embassy where you and your appropriate documentation will be evaluated and if approved you will receive a F-1 Student Visa which will allow you to enter the U.S. and attend the University of your choice.  Your F-1 Visa will be valid for the duration of status (valid for the period necessary to complete our degree program.


It should be noted that there are varying terms for the various visas available, some are called employment based visas, business based visas, investor based visas, visitor visas,  holiday visas, student visas, entrepreneur visas and each of these has a symbol which makes the process appear to be impossible and what has been discussed here does not cover all the possibilities for travel to the United States.  Nor, do they include the supporting documentation or forms needed to secure the status you may be seeking.


Roy Schremp of GAMAVISAS is not a licensed attorney or solicitor; however, his 46 years of experience including 30 years with the U.S. Immigration Service qualifies him to be an expert and is able to assist you in applying for any immigration benefits that you may qualify for.


Should you wish to discuss any matter please refer to our contact page.